Careers at the Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
The Charité is one of the biggest employers in the city of Berlin. As a traditional company with more than 300 years of history, we offer a broad spectrum of education and trainings opportunities for different jobs.
This page provides information on vacancies within Charité. Please feel free to browse our current vacancies. Why not apply today? We are looking forward to welcoming you!
You are here:
Are you interested in joining our team at the Institute of Virology or in carrying out field research?
We are looking forward to receiving your application (virologie-ccm(at)charite.de)! At the moment, we are particularly looking for:
- Postdocs (first and second Postdoc phase)
- Medical doctors interested in infectious diseases/ virology
- Medical students interested in writing a virological dissertation
- PhD candidates
- Laboratory assistants
You should have a high interest in cell and molecular biology techniques, such as different cell culture methods (primary cell culture, cell lines, organoids); protein, antibody and nucleic acid detection techniques, FACS, live cell imaging, CRISPR technology, and reverse genetics.
If you are interested in an internship, or would like to write your bachelor/ master thesis with us, please have a look at our working groups and the topics they are currently working on by selecting “Research” in the menu and contact them directly.
Please also regularly check our German website for vacancies: https://virologie-ccm.charite.de/karriere/.
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin is a joint institution of Freie Universität Berlin and Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. As one of the largest university hospitals in Europe, and widely known for its historical importance, Charité plays a leading role in research, teaching, and patient care. Charité also stands out as a modern company with certifications in the medical, clinical, and management fields.
About the Institute of Virology
The Institute of Virology of Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin (Director: Prof. Drosten) has about 90 employees, 10 independent working groups, and hosts two national reference laboratories (coronaviruses and hantaviruses). Research at the institute focuses on zoonotic pathogens, virus diversity, ecology, epidemiology, virus host interactions, and Global Health challenges.
In the institute, you will find a lot of personal freedom in organizing the work, an international team, a diverse, open-minded and supportive working atmosphere. To strengthen our team in the area of Global Health, we are looking for a scientist or MD or veterinarian to carry out BMZ/GIZ and DFG-funded funded projects.
- Coordination and implementation of scientific projects in countries of the Global South (including Ghana, Ethiopia and Kenya)
- Planning, execution and follow-up of sampling in (veterinary) medical settings in the above mentioned countries
- Execution and supervision of laboratory experiments (cell culture techniques, BSL1-3)
- Independent analysis of epidemiological and diagnostic data sets
- Responsibility for managing a project budget
- Writing of annual project reports and publications
- Organization of international diagnostic workshops in the field of virology/immunology
- Sample logistics (import and export) incl. communication with respective authorities for category A and B transports
- Drafting/preparation of ethics proposals, cooperation agreements, and material transfer agreements under guidelines in the Nagoya protocol
- Recruitment and mentorship of young scientists
- Research associates will be given sufficient time for their own scientific work according to their employment status
- Completed university studies in the (veterinary)-medical-scientific field incl. doctoral degree
- Experience in field work, sampling and project coordination in the veterinary/medical field
- Sound knowledge of diagnostic molecular biological techniques (serology, PCR).
- Willingness to undertake regular and longer business trips outside Europe
- Experience in project management, ideally according to internationally recognized project management standards
- Very good communication skills, commitment and distinct ability to work in a team
- Independent, structured and careful way of working, pronounced hands-on mentality
- Open-mindedness and intercultural competence
- Very good English and German language skills, both written and spoken
- PC skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and statistics
- Knowledge of (infectious) cell culture techniques (BSL2 conditions)
- Experience with working under BSL3 conditions
- Experience with German regulations according to GenTG, GenTSV, BioStoffV, GefahrstoffV and TRBA
Full-time classification will be E13 or E14 or Ä1 depending on qualifications and experience.
Working conditions & benefits
Duration of employment
30.04.2024 according to TzBfG
39.00 or 40.00 hours per week
Up to E13 / Ä1 according to collective agreement: TVöD VKA - K / TV-Ärzte..
The grouping takes place under consideration of the qualification and the personal requirements. You can find our collective agreements at https://www.charite.de/karriere/.
The Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin makes its personnel decisions based on suitability, qualification, and professional performance. Charité aims to increase the proportion of women in management positions and therefore strongly encourages women to apply. In the case of equivalent qualifications, women are given priority, always in accordance with legal possibilities. Applications from those with an immigrant background who meet the hiring requirements are expressly encouraged. Severely disabled applicants will be given preference if they have the same qualifications. A certificate of good conduct from the police, and in some cases an extended certificate of good conduct, is required for hiring. Unfortunately, application documents can only be returned if a sufficiently stamped envelope is enclosed. Any travel expenses incurred cannot be reimbursed.
Data protection notice
Please send all application documents, e.g., cover letter, curriculum vitae, references, certificates, etc. as a single PDF (max. size 10MB) indicating the reference number DM.97.22 to virologie-ccm(at)charite.de.
Contact person for inquiries
PD Dr. Marcel Müller
Job opportunities at Charité
With their extensive experience, skills and expertise, and the enthusiasm they bring to their work, our staff are our greatest resource. Comprising approximately 100 departments and institutes, and spanning four campuses, Charité offers stimulating challenges, a cooperative working atmosphere, and interesting career development opportunities.